A call to pray for Iran
The human race is a single being
Created from one jewel
If one member is struck
All must feel the blow
Only someone who cares for the pain of others
Can truly be called human.
— written by 13th century Iranian poet Saadi
The recent presidential election in Iran has sparked intense debate and sporadic violence within the country. Prayers for the situation are welcomed.
A prayer for Iran and the nations
“The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases,
his mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.”
— Lamentations 3:22-23
God whose steadfast love never ceases —
We pray for the people of Iran at this time of uncertainty and upheaval;
Make your justice to flourish;
Make your peace to prosper;
Make all to live in security and with hope.
God whose mercies are new every morning —
We ask forgiveness for the failures of our own nations;
We acknowledge that the policies and actions of our governments
have contributed to misunderstanding and division.
We pray for the healing of the nations.
God whose faithfulness is great and sure —
We pray for a world in which we treat one another as truly human;
Make us to be faithful in our commitment to justice and peace for all people;
Make us to love one another as you, in Jesus, taught us to love.
MCC’s work in Iran
The vision for MCC’s work in Iran is to promote understanding and friendship between the people of Iran, Canada and the United States and peace between the governments of the countries.
MCC seeks to live into this vision by:
- Being present in Iran to build relationships with Iranian people from many backgrounds.
- Organizing learning tours to Iran and hosting Iranian guests in Canada and the U.S.
- Encouraging exchanges between Mennonite and Iranian universities.
- Supporting academic dialogue between Mennonite and Islamic scholars.
- Inviting leaders of Canada, the United States and Iran to talk directly to each other and build mutually respectful relationships that lead to peace.